Argentina superstar Lionel Messi said that his side had produced their best match of the World Cup in beating Belgium 1-0 in the quarter-finals.
And goalscorer Gonzalez Higuain said getting off the mark with the winning goal had been a “beautiful” moment.
“We produced a very complete match. We weren’t able to create that many chances, but they didn’t make that many clear chances either,” said Messi yesterday.
Asked if it was Argentina’s most accomplished display of the tournament, the Barcelona forward told reporters: “I think it was.
“We produced a very complete match. We weren’t able to create that many chances, but they didn’t make that many clear chances either.”
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Argentina have now won their first five matches at a World Cup finals for the first time, even though they laboured in the group phase and were criticised for a lacklustre display in their 1-0 victory over Switzerland in the last 16.
It is 24 years since Argentina last reached the semi-finals of a World Cup and Messi said the team took great pride in the feat. “This is amazing,” he said. “We knew it was going to be difficult.
“Argentina have gone a long time without doing this, and it was us who crossed the frontier.”
Higuain’s superb volley in the eighth minute of the game was enough to get Argentina through and took the Napoli striker out of a World Cup drought with his first goal of this tournament.
“Luckily it came in this match,” said Higuain. “Strikers live for goals and it was a beautiful thing that it happened today.”
Higuain was a substitute in Argentina’s first group game and then started every match even though questions were asked about his lack of goals.
“I was calm, I did my work and I waited for it to arrive,” said Higuain.
“I kept faith in my qualities and the coach and the staff were behind me. That is what matters to me. All strikers want to score, that is my job,” he said.