Wayne Rooney believes he was the victim of “disgraceful” treatment following the publication of photos that showed him socialising at England’s team hotel when on international duty last weekend.
The England and Manchester United captain said he was shown a “lack of respect” by the media after he joined in a wedding party in between the matches against Scotland and Spain.
Rooney received criticism in some quarters, and backing in others, after the photos were sold to a newspaper and he ended up “unreservedly” apologising to interim England manager Gareth Southgate over the images which he did say were “inappropriate” for someone in his position.
After United’s 1-1 Premier League draw with Arsenal on Saturday he was in less apologetic mood, annoyed the furore over his behaviour had failed to subside in the media.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
“What’s been going on is disgraceful,” Rooney told reporters. “I’m proud to play for my country and I’m proud of my achievements.
“It’s not finished yet. I think what’s been going on is disgraceful. It shows a lack of respect and I think enough is enough. That’s all I want to say.”
United manager Jose Mourinho defended his captain on Friday, blaming England for not protecting him.