One thing that truly stands out for the two-time World Cup winners is the quality of their strike force. Luis Suarez and Edinson Cavani strike fear in opposition defence and on days when either of two fail, Oscar Tabarez has the option to call on Diego Forlan — the 2010 Golden Ball winner (the award is given to the best player at the tournament) — to shore up the attack. But the player, who puts in the hard yards, so that the stars do their trickery up front, is little known midfielder Arevalo Rios.
Rios is one of the first names that is put on the team list by Tabarez. He played all the matches during the 2010 World Cup and as well as during the Copa America win in 2011 and it was his assist that won Uruguay, the record-leveling 15 th title with Argentina. He was perhaps the only one from the 2010 team — that finished third — who wasn’t signed by any of the bigger clubs in Europe despite playing a stellar role.
Staying under the radar isn’t knew to a player, who famously rode a bus to the training venue in 2006, when he was called up to the national team for the first time. After playing the central role as his team’s (Penarol) to the final of the Clausura, premier division final, Rios had announced: “I am not on emails, computers and books.” Well he couldn’t afford one, much like a car.
FIFA Ranking 7
Betting Ranking 10
ELO Ranking 9
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Luis Suarez, Edinson Cavani, Christian