Officials overseeing World Cup preparations in the southern Russian city of Sochi say construction work on the city’s stadium has finished on time.
The stadium held the opening and closing ceremonies of the 2014 Winter Olympics, but has yet to host a soccer game because it needed extensive modifications to remove a temporary roof and increase capacity from 40,000 to 47,700.
Sochi is one of four host cities for next year’s Confederations Cup, a World Cup warm-up tournament.
Regional officials also say 150 Cossacks will be drafted in to help with Confederations Cup security. Cossacks, a paramilitary group dating back to Czarist times, attracted criticism when they provided security at the Sochi Olympics and used whips to break up a performance by opposition punk group Pussy Riot.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest