Atletico Madrid coach Diego Simeone was handed an eight-match touchline ban by the Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) on Monday following his dismissal and angry reaction in the Spanish Super Cup against Real Madrid. The Argentine was sanctioned with four games for slapping the fourth official on the back of the head after his first-half dismissal, two for protesting, one for applauding the decision and another for giving instructions to the team from the stands.
Simeone was sent off for “protesting openly with his arms in the air, going out of the technical area on repeated occasions and not listening to the fourth official who warned him to stop,” RFEF said in a statement.
It added that Simeone then “hit the the fourth official on the head with his open hand twice” and “applauded on several occasions in a sign of disagreement” with the decision before going off. Finally, “he took no notice of instructions” to move away from his position in the stand.
The incident took place in the first half of the fiery clash with Real at the Calderon which Atletico won 1-0, and 2-1 on aggregate. Simeone accepted afterwards that he was wrong.
“The people that decide will have to give the sanction that they think is right. When someone does something wrong they need to pay for it and we are waiting to hear what we have to pay,” Simeone had told a news conference on Sunday.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016