Veteran Netherlands midfielder Rafael van der Vaart will miss the World Cup after injuring a calf muscle in his right leg.
The Dutch football association said Wednesday the injury means coach Louis van Gaal will not include the most experienced player in his provisional squad in the final 23-man roster for Brazil.
The Hamburg star with 109 international appearances is the second important midfielder to drop out of Louis van Gaal’s squad after Kevin Strootman suffered a season-ending knee injury in March.
Brazil would have been the 31-year-old Van der Vaart’s third World Cup. The creative midfielder is a product of Ajax’s storied youth academy who went on to play for Hamburg, Real Madrid and Tottenham.
In a reaction posted on Twitter and his Facebook page, Van der Vaart said he was “enormously disappointed I won’t be going to the World Cup” and wished the Dutch team “a successful and great” tournament in Brazil.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
His absence means Van Gaal will likely use Wesley Sneijder as his creative midfield general in Brazil. Sneijder was one of four joint top scorers at the 2010 World Cup with five goals.
Three-time runner-up the Netherlands opens its World Cup campaign in Salvador on June 13 with a repeat of the 2010 final against Spain. Van Gaal’s team also plays Australia and Chile in a tough Group B.