Cristiano Ronaldo’s hopes of continuing in the WC are hanging by a thread and will depend on an unlikely combination of results in Group G games.
Ronaldo’s Portugal must beat Ghana, preferably by several goals, to have any hope of progressing but must also hope the Germany-United States match does not end in a draw.After winning the Champions League with Real Madrid, Ronaldo has had a miserable WC and has yet to hit the target. He was suffering from tendinosis in his left knee in the run-up to the tournament and there is speculation that the problem has not yet cleared up. After Portugal struggled to a 2-2 draw with the U.S. thanks to a last-gasp equaliser in their second game, Ronaldo suggested their chances had been overrated before the tournament.
“I never thought that we were going to win the World Cup,” he told Portuguese media. “For me, it would have been easy, I could have not come to the World Cup and finished the season as European champion. But I’m going to stand up and be counted. Portugal were never favourites, you just have to look at qualifying for this (Cup),” he added.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
“We have to be humble and know our capabilities. In addition, we have had other limitations such as the cases of Pepe and Fabio Coentrao,” said Ronaldo. “At the moment, there are better national teams than ours.”
Portugal and Ghana have one point each while Germany and the U.S have four and the latter pair will both definitely qualify if either match ends in a draw. However, if neither game is drawn, it will come down to goal difference between the winner of Portugal-Ghana and the loser of Germany-U.S.
Germany have a goal difference of plus four, followed by the U.S. (plus one), Ghana (minus one) and Portugal (minus four) so the only realistic hope for the Portuguese is a Germany win.
By a little twist of irony, the nucleus of the Germany team comes from Bayern Munich, who Ronaldo helped humiliate in the Champions League two months ago. The rivalry between the two is long-running, so much so that Bayern are known as the “Black Beast” by Real fans, and the Germans dramatically beat Ronaldo’s team on penalties at the Bernabeu in another semi-final in 2012.