Russia’s hopes of rebuilding in time for the 2018 World Cup suffered another blow Sunday as repeated defensive lapses allowed Costa Rica to claim a 4-3 friendly win.
With coach Stanislav Cherchesov giving opportunities to young players, it was veteran defender Vasily Berezutsky who was the weak link.
The center-back was distracted for Costa Rica’s first goal, scored an own goal and gave away the penalty from which Joel Campbell scored Costa Rica’s 92nd-minute winner.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
With Russia 3-1 down at half time, a planned ceremony to mark Berezutsky’s 100th Russia game was called off, but after the break striker Artyom Dzyuba led a revival with two goals, before Campbell gave the visitors the win.
It was Cherchesov’s first Russia defeat after an earlier draw with Turkey and win over Ghana.