As Real Madrid struggle to maintain their La Liga title bid, a greater emphasis has been placed on winning a 10th European crown and this week they face a Borussia Dortmund side who famously blocked their path last season.
As each year passes, the desire for Real to claim a 10th European Cup, or ‘decima’, has become more of an obsession and president Florentino Perez has spent lavishly to try and make it a reality by bringing in top talent from around the world.
They last won the Champions League back in 2002 and their hopes were raised once more last season when they reached the semifinals only for underdogs Borussia Dortmund to conjure up a stunning upset.
They face off again in their quarterfinal first-leg tie on Wednesday with Real under pressure to enjoy some continental success after two defeats in three league games have derailed their domestic campaign after a long unbeaten run.
Real may be facing a Dortmund side which has been blighted by injuries all season but coach Jurgen Klopp believes they can pull off a another surprise at the Bernabeu.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
“With our budget and list of injuries… we are the underdogs in the tie,” he told Spanish newspaper Marca.
“However, I always say that it is not necessary to be the best team in the world but to be capable of beating the best in the world in a one-off contest, and Borussia can beat the best. That is the most important thing for me. Borussia have a chance and maybe we will catch them out.”
Along with the players in the treatment room, they will also miss talismanic striker Robert Lewandowski, who is suspended for the first leg.
“It has been a very difficult campaign from the start. We have faced extraordinary challenges and an injury crisis without precedent,” Klopp added. “I have never seen anything similar but having said that, we are in a position to achieve all our targets.”
Real responded to the back-to-back defeats, one being the Clasico, with a comprehensive 5-0 win at the weekend against Rayo Vallecano.
“We are coming towards the end and it could be better after two defeats but we are physically in good shape, mentally we reacted well and we are optimistic,” coach Carlo Ancelotti told a news conference. “We will have a good atmosphere.”
Live on TEN ACTION & TEN HD 00:15