Thomas Meunier volleyed a spectacular last-minute goal to give Paris St Germain a 2-1 win at FC Basel, which took them into the last 16 of the Champions League on Tuesday. PSG had taken the lead with a Blaise Matuidi goal two minutes before halftime but Basel rattled the Ligue 1 champions when Luca Zuffi equalised out of the blue in the 76th minute.
In a dramatic finale the Swiss champions had midfielder Serey Die sent off for a second yellow card following a foul on Marco Verratti and could have snatched a win seconds before Meunier’s strike.
PSG, quarter-finalists last season, have 10 points from four games in Group A alongside Arsenal, who also qualified. Basel have one point and were eliminated alongside Ludogorets.
PSG dominated the first half and went ahead when Meunier drove a fierce shot at goal which Matuidi flicked into the net from close range.
The visitors had enough chances to settle the game, but instead Zuffi collected a throw in around 30 metres out and launched a looping effort towards goal which flew over a startled Alphonse Areola and into the net.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Basel went agonisingly close to scoring a second when a free kick flew across the PSG goal and found Marc Janko unmarked at the far post, but he failed to make proper contact.
Seconds later, a PSG cross found Meunier who, having missed two easier chances, met the ball with a thumping volley which swerved past Tomas Vaclik and into the top corner.