It was the season’s first derby and the atmosphere at the Salt Lake Stadium was electric. East Bengal had been slow off the blocks in the Calcutta Football League (CFL) this term, but they came roaring back to form when it mattered most. A memorable, 3-1 victory over Mohun Bagan was achieved without breaking much sweat. They were far better technically and tactically than their arch-rivals.
This was a clash between the modern and conventional styles. East Bengal’s modern outlook towards football is a gift from their former coach Trevor Morgan. He rebuilt the team during his three-year stint and now Armando Colaco is reaping the benefits. To Colaco’s credit, it must be said, he completely outwitted his Bagan counterpart Subhas Bhowmick on Sunday.
East Bengal’s star recruit Ranty Martins had a very good game. The Nigerian tormented his compatriot Alao Adisa Fatai, scored twice and wasted another couple to miss out on a hat-trick. Fatai, on the other hand, had a forgettable CFL debut. Bagan were one-dimensional in their approach, working down the left through Katsumi Yusa and belting in crosses into the area, more in hope than conviction.
The first goal came on 11 minutes when Kevin Lobo skipped past a couple of defenders and was poleaxed by Fatai inside the area. The penalty was awarded, and East Bengal and Martins were off the mark. The green-and-maroons equalised nine minutes later as ‘keeper Abhijit Mondal completely misjudged a Satish Singh cross from the right and presented CS Sabeeth with a simple tap-in opportunity.
East Bengal had a free-kick, two minutes before the half time, following a stupid challenge from Fatai on Martins. Joaquim Abranches’s 25-yard drive deflected off the Bagan defender into the net. An unmarked Martins punished Bagan again, a couple of minutes after the break, as he headed home from eight yards. Abranches was the provider.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More