Liverpool rallied twice against Manchester City and triumphed 3-2 in a penalty shoot-out Wednesday after their pre-season friendly at baseball’s Yankee Stadium ended 2-2 after regular time.
Stevan Jovetic scored twice for Manchester City, but Jordan Henderson and Raheem Sterling answered for Liverpool in the clash between last season’s top two teams in the English Premier League.
Brendan Rodgers’ Liverpool dominated in the shootout, with two saves from Simon Mignolet.
Montenegro’s Jovetic opened the scoring in the 53rd minute after a defensive miscue from Liverpool midfielder Steven Gerrard.
Jesus Navas had fired a cross from the right and Gerrard was unable to block it. The ball trickled through his legs and Jovetic pounced to fire it home.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
Henderson equalized six minutes later with a fine finish after solid work from Sterling and Daniel Sturridge.
But Jovetic restored the Premier League champions’ lead in the 67th.
It was the second match in a row that Jovetic scored two for the Premier League champions. He netted a brace in Sunday’s 5-1 friendly triumph over Italy’s AC Milan in Pittsburgh.
England international Sterling knotted the score at 2-2 in the 85th with a well-taken strike — and had a goal disallowed in injury time for offside.
After a lively performance throughout, Manchester City were lackluster in the shoot-out, with Aleksandar Kolarov, Yaya Toure and Navas all failing to convert from the spot. The match drew a crowd of 49,653 to Yankee Stadium.