Matias Messi, brother of Barcelona striker Lionel Messi, faces arms charges in Argentina, the Cadena 3 news portal reported on Sunday.
Matias Messi refused to allow police to search his car and did not show them the vehicle’s documents during a traffic stop on Saturday in Rosario city, the report said.
Officers finally searched the automobile and found a .22-caliber pistol for which Messi did not have a permit and took him to police precinct 16 in Rosario.
- Lionel Messi marries childhood sweetheart in Argentinian hometown
- FACTBOX: Profile of Argentina's Lionel Messi
- Rio 2016 Olympics: No Lionel Messi in Argentina squad
- Copa America: Chile have a big blank to fill
- Lionel Messi: Ten things you didn't know about the Barcelona magician
- Lionel Messi,unharmed,has a punch thrown at him
The brother of the Barcelona star spent four hours at the precinct before being released.
Matias Messi was involved in a similar incident in October 2008, when he was arrested in Rosario for carrying a handgun in the waistband of his pants.