Matias Messi, brother of Barcelona striker Lionel Messi, faces arms charges in Argentina, the Cadena 3 news portal reported on Sunday.
Matias Messi refused to allow police to search his car and did not show them the vehicle’s documents during a traffic stop on Saturday in Rosario city, the report said.
Officers finally searched the automobile and found a .22-caliber pistol for which Messi did not have a permit and took him to police precinct 16 in Rosario.
- Lionel Messi misses penalty but Barcelona win big to increase la Liga lead
- Lionel Messi lobbies for Gonzalo Higuain's return to Argentina
- Arrest ordered for Lionel Messi's brother after gun found in blood-stained boat
- Lionel Messi signs new Barcelona contract with 700 million Euro buy-out clause
- Barcelona save Lionel Messi for crucial Valencia match
- Cristiano Ronaldo makes secret phone call to Lionel Messi, here's why
The brother of the Barcelona star spent four hours at the precinct before being released.
Matias Messi was involved in a similar incident in October 2008, when he was arrested in Rosario for carrying a handgun in the waistband of his pants.