Cristian Tello hit a hat-trick as Barcelona came from behind to win 4-1 in their King’s Cup quarter-final first leg at Levante on Wednesday and Lionel Messi celebrated his 400th appearance for the Catalan side.
Levante’s Nabil El Zhar slotted home a rebound after 30 minutes but with Barca carrying a greater attacking threat after the break they equalised through an own-goal by Juanfran.
Messi set up all three goals for Tello and Barca will take a comfortable lead back to the Nou Camp.
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
- PM Modi Meets New Zealand Prime Minister John Key
- Ex-Arunachal CM Kalikho Pul Left Behind “Secret Notes” Before He Was Found Hanging: Rajkhowa
- Big Relief For Former Karnataka CM BS Yeddyurappa: Here’s Why
- Missing For Three Days, JNU Student Found Dead In Hostel Room
- Bigg Boss 10: Review Of October 25 Episode
- Delhi Government’s Rs 200 Crore Riverfront Plan: Find Out More
- School in Jammu & Kashmir’s Bandipore District Set on Fire
- Ajay Devgn On The Making Of Shivaay: Exclusive Interview
- Bodies Of Maoists Killed In Malkangiri Encounter, One Of The Biggest Such Operations
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
Messi reached another landmark in his illustrious career with his 400th match in a Barcelona shirt having made his official debut in October 2004 against Espanyol.
“In the first half we lacked depth and circulated the ball poorly but we still had chances and hit the post,” Barca coach Gerardo Martino told a news conference.
“In the second half we were very good. When Messi plays like he did in the second half he was able to open up this game and could open up any other.”
Barcelona were held by Levante 0-0 in the league last weekend but both sides made a number of changes as they looked to rest players.
Pedro struck the post with a strike from the edge of the area early on but they looked vulnerable at the back and El Zhar put Levante ahead after having his first shot saved by Jose Manuel Pinto.
Barca upped their rhythm in the second half, causing a mistake in the Levante defence with Loukas Vyntra clearing a ball against Juanfran and it ricocheted into the net.
Messi then came to the fore as he split the defence for Tello to slot home.
The combination of Messi’s trickery on the ball and Tello’s pace worked twice more in the final stages as the latter latched on to passes from the Argentine to score.
Earlier, Mikel Gonzalez scored twice and Carlos Vela grabbed the other in a 3-1 victory for Real Sociedad in their first leg against Racing Santander, whose goal came from Mahamadou Kone.
Real Madrid have a 1-0 advantage over Espanyol from their game on Tuesday and holders Atletico Madrid play Athletic Bilbao on Thursday.