A last-gasped goal by substitute Momar Ndoye helped FC Pune City beat FC Goa 2-1 and secure their first win in the Indian Super League football at Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium in Goa on Saturday.
Ndoye struck the match-winner in the 90th minute after FC Goa’s Rafael Coelho (33rd minute) had cancelled out Pune side’s 25th minute goal by Arata Izumi.
As usual, FC Goa dominated the second half and they had chances to take the lead after the two sides were locked 1-1 at the breather, but Zico’s boys failed to put the ball into the opposition goal.
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
- Hillary Clinton accuses Donald Trump of being Vladimir Putin’s ‘puppet’
- Senior UP Congress Leader Rita Bahuguna Joshi Joins BJP
- Missing JNU Student: VC Gives Ultimatum To Students Over ‘Illegal Confinement’
- US Presidential Debate: Donald Trump Calls Hillary Clinton ‘A Nasty Woman’
- Hasselblad True Zoom Mod Review
- Honor 8 First Look Video
- Apple Watch 2: Review, Price And Features
- Delhi HC Dismisses Kejriwal’s Plea For Stay In Criminal Defamation Case
- Gulzar Shares An Interesting Anecdote Behind The Lyrics of ‘Humne Dekhi Hai’ Song
- Diya Mirza Displays Her Painting Skills At An Art Festival In Mumbai
The visitors, who were back on the wall, capitalised on a rare chance they had in the second session through Ndoye to secure the winner.
Both the teams had lost their opening matches and were looking for their first win on Saturday.
In the first half, the visitors had more control and better ball possession. Their defence looked solid and thwarted the moves whenever the home team tried to penetrate into the box.
Man of the match, Jonathan Lucca, who was the driving force for the visitors, caught the home team napping on a couple of occasions. He fired a shot from the top of the box from a quick build up and the ball hit the post after brushing the hands of diving keeper Laxmikant Kattimani and the rebound came to Arata Izumi who slotted home in the 25th minute.
FC Goa found the equaliser in the 33rd minute. Goalkeeper Kattimani sent a long ball from his own half for Joffre Gonzalez who headed the ball towards rival box. Rafael Coelho then got the better of rival defender Gouramangi Singh before slotting the ball into the Pune net.
Zico made a change in second half, bringing in midfielder Romeo Fernandes in place of defender Fulgaanco Cardozo and the move paid off as the home team controlled the midfield.
Rafael Coelho had a good chance to put his team ahead but his shot went straight into the hands of Pune keeper Edel Bete in the 54th minute.
FC Goa continued to pile pressure and substitute Romeo Fernandes had the glorious chance to score but he shot wide off the target from close range.
Goa did the bulk of attacking but it was Pune who scored the winner from a counter attack in the 90th minute to secure their first win.
Lucca split the defence with a through pass to Ndoye who got the better of Lucio and then essayed a firm left-footer that found the far corner of the net.