Jose Mourinho said it hurt him to have to leave players out of his side after Manchester United swept aside West Ham United 4-1 to reach the semi-finals of the League Cup on Wednesday.
Zlatan Ibrahimovic and French forward Anthony Martial both scored twice at Old Trafford to take the four-times League Cup winners into a last four meeting with Hull City.
Mourinho handed Martial a start along with Armenian Henrikh Mkhitaryan and even brought out-of-favour midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger on as a late substitute.
Martial had missed out on the Premier League draw against West Ham last weekend and Mourinho said rotating his squad gave him no pleasure.
“It hurts me, it hurts me,” he told the club website (www.manutd.com).
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
“It hurts me a lot to leave (Memphis) Depay and Ashley Young at home. It hurts me a lot like last week when I had to leave out Martial, and next week I’ll leave another one.
“We have so many players for these positions and it’s good for me but it’s bad for them … I cannot give to everyone at the same time, so it hurts me.”
Midfelder Mkhitaryan, who has featured in only 10 games this season, was in the thick of things, supplying a backheeled assist for Ibrahimovic’s early opener and a well-judged cut back set Martial up for his first goal.
“We know the reason we bought him and were waiting for his reputation. It looks like it’s coming,” Mourinho added.
West Ham manager Slaven Bilic rued his side’s slow start to the match.
“We can’t have a slow start against them because they are very good when they are one up. They have those kind of players,” he told the club website. (www.whufc.com)
United will take on Hull over two legs in the semi-finals on Jan. 10 or 11 and Jan 24 or 25 to decide who plays Liverpool or Southampton in the final.