Defending champions Chennaiyin FC broke their Guwahati jinks with a hard-fought 1-0 victory over NorthEast United FC in an absorbing Hero Indian Super League clash at Indira Gandhi Athletic Stadium.
Chennaiyin FC were the only team to neither score a goal in Guwahati nor secure a point at Indira Gandhi Athletic Stadium during the previous seasons of the ISL.
Chennaiyin FC had also never defeated NorthEast United in four attempts, losing three of them.
The defending champions, however, made everyone sit up and take notice with just one magical moment. It was provided by Davide Succi whose 49th minute winner was the difference between the two sides.
The win helped Chennaiyin FC jump to third place on the points table with seven points from four matches. Despite the loss today, NorthEast United are still perched at the top of the table however the gap could be narrowed now if Mumbai City FC, Delhi Dynamos and Atletico de Kolkata win their next round match.
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swam Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
Chennaiyin FC had their Italian striker Succi to thank for winning them all three points. After a barren first session where Chennaiyin held the upper hand and created better chances, the Italian struck a magical winner in the 49th minute.
A cross from Siam Hangal seemed like any other delivery inside the box but what followed left everyone dazed as Succi connected with a first-time side volley. The ball flew like a rocket and goalkeeper Subrata Paul could do nothing despite getting his hand to the ball.
Prior to kick-off, coach Marco Materazzi’s decision to leave marquee player John Arne Riise on the bench was the major talking point.
Bernard Mendy returned at the back to captain the side and he never made anyone feel Riise’s absence. His fine tackle to deny Emiliano Alfaro inside the danger zone was the best moment of the night.
NorthEast United FC lost their first match at home after winning the first two. Described by many as one of the best teams in the league, Nelo Vingada’s side couldn’t dictate terms during most part of the match, and even though they had their chances to take something out of the match, striker Emiliano Alfaro lacked the cutting edge upfront.
Chennaiyin FC had a couple of chances to open the account in the first 45 minutes. Hans Mulder missed a header from close range and Maurizio Peluso got the best out of goalkeeper Paul with a curling effort from just outside the box.