Inter Milan fans will never recognise Mauro Icardi as their captain, they said on Tuesday, as the fallout from the Argentine forward’s controversial autobiography continued.
Inter said on Monday the 23-year-old would be sanctioned over comments in the book but would not be stripped of the captaincy.
But the Curva Nord hardcore supporters criticised the decision, posting a statement on their website, saying: “Icardi is not our captain, not now or ever.”
Icardi has been Inter’s top scorer for the past two campaigns and is again this season.
But he has upset some fans after an account in his book about a confrontation with one of the ultra leaders in 2015 in which he claimed the fan ordered a child to hand back the Argentine’s shirt after the player had given it to him.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
The ultras say Icardi’s version of events is an invention.
On Sunday he was greeted by several insulting banners at San Siro as he took to the pitch for Inter’s Serie A game against Cagliari, which they lost 2-1.
He also missed a penalty during the match — which the Inter fans applauded.
The fans said the incident would not affect their support for the rest of the team, who have slumped to 11th in Serie A.
“Inter need us,” the statement said.