Argentine striker Sergio Aguero is out of the World Cup after suffering a muscle tear in the 3-2 victory over Nigeria, a Buenos Aires newspaper reported on Thursday.
Aguero’s injury, which could not be immediately confirmed by team spokesmen, would be a major blow to the South Americans’ campaign to capture a third World Cup, this time on the soil of their great rivals Brazil.
“This morning the worst news was confirmed. He has a tear and won’t be able to play any more in the cup,” Clarin said. The Manchester City forward, part of Argentina’s so-called “Fab Four” of strikers, was taken off during the first half of the match against Nigeria that gave them top spot in Group F.
Coach Alejandro Sabella said afterwards he had a muscle problem. Argentine TV channel TyC Sports said the tear was on a muscle in Aguero’s left leg. More information was expected at an Argentine training session and news conference in Belo Horizonte at the end of Thursday afternoon.
Nicknamed “Kun” after a Japanese cartoon character, the 26-year-old is a close friend of national captain Lionel Messi and is also the father of Diego Maradona’s first grandson. Argentina next play in Sao Paulo on July 1, a last 16 knockout game against Switzerland. Fellow strikers Ezequiel Lavezzi or Rodrigo Palacio could take Aguero’s place.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
“We have forwards of the same style as Aguero and others, with a different style, like Lavezzi, who came in and handled himself well on the wings and helped us cover spaces,” Sabella said after the Nigeria game, where Lavezzi replaced Aguero.