AIFF’s technical committee entrusted the country’s apex football body general secretary Kushal Das with the task of communicating with the national team coach Stephen Constantine regarding his future in India.
The committee, comprising chairman Bhaichung Bhutia, Western Indian Football Association’s (WIFA) CEO Henry Menezes, Kerala Football Association secretary Anil Kumar and AIFF academy instructor Scott O’Donnell, met here to deliberate on the future of Englishman Constantine, who was appointed to the post in January 2015.
Sources close to the All India Football Federation claimed that no replacement candidates were discussed for Constantine, whose second term as Indian coach ends in February.
A section of the AIFF, however, is keen on replacing him at the earliest and give his successor enough time to get acclimatised ahead of India’s qualifying round play-off matches for the 2019 Asia Cup in February.
In his second stint as coach, Constantine failed to inspire his team in the World Cup/Asian Cup qualifiers with the side finishing last in Group D, which also had Asian heavyweights Iran and Oman, and lowly ranked Guam, to whom they lost.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
He guided India to the SAFF Championship glory — the team beat Afghanistan 1-0 in the final — in January 2016. The AIFF, though, was far from impressed with the team’s overall results under Constantine.
The coach’s performance was discussed in the meeting.
The final decision on the appointment will be taken by AIFF president Praful Patel.