Manuel Pellegrini is “absolutely sure” Manchester City will win back the Premier League title this season and the manager has not ruled out making more signings to strengthen his squad in the summer.
City, who conceded four goals in both their defeats against Real Madrid and Stuttgart in pre-season friendlies, finished eight points behind champions Chelsea in the Premier League last season.
“I am absolutely sure that we are going to have a very successful season. We must bring back the title here to our fans,” the 61-year-old was quoted as saying by Sky Sports.
- Pep Guardiola says he could not have imagined Manchester City Premier League title runaway
- Pep Guardiola heaps praise on ‘master’ tactician Antonio Conte
- Arsenal vs Manchester City: Pep Guardiola poised to resume trophy collecting
- Pep Guardiola shifts focus to League Cup Final after Wigan upset
- Wigan Athletic seek three-peat shock over Manchester City
- Last season’s best still better than best-of-rest
“We are sure, as I have just said, that we are going to bring it back. We had a good pre-season.”
With the sale of Stefan Jovetic to Inter Milan and Edin Dzeko being strongly linked with a move to Roma, City is poised to start the season with only two frontline strikers in Sergio Aguero and Wilfried Bony.
“We have Kelechi (Iheanacho), that is a young player who I think must find a place here in our squad,” the Chilean manager added. “(Raheem) Sterling can also play in front. I think we are going to bring in other players but not in that position.”
City, who won the Premier League title in a close finish in 2013-14, kick off their campaign with a trip to West Bromwich Albion on Monday night.