The summer of 2004 saw a team with wizened veterans and fresh-faced youngsters downing European football superpowers with aplomb, claim the continental championship. Greece shocked the footballing world with its surge to the title. Ten years on, the ‘Pirate Ship’, a nickname that the side earned during that incredible summer in Portugal, will be looking to create another such splash, albeit in the biggest footballing event in the world.
The Greece of today will have only two representatives from the class of 2004, taking out the promise of a better future on to the field in Brazil.
Fittingly, Giorgios Karagounis, the 37-year-old skipper of the side and Greece’s most capped player will be leading the Greek charge. With 132 caps, he is the most experienced of the lot, leading a well-rounded young side which has often lost out due to its lack of big-game experience.
Karagounis, famously remembered for the low, fizzing drive from 25-yards against Portugal in the first round of Euro 2004, has been a part of some of Greek football’s finest moments. It was the midfielder’s goal that took his side past Russia and into the quarter-finals in Euro 2012. Karagounis also played a sterling role in driving Greece’s midfield in 2010.
Karagounis has reiterated that in Brazil, his team’s mission is to put a smile on the faces of people back home. Karagounis has said that he cannot bear to see his one-time teammates struggle to put food on the table in an increasingly tumultous Greece.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review