French defender Jeremy Mathieu is quitting international football to focus on his club career with Barcelona.
A day after he was removed from the France squad for upcoming World Cup qualifiers, Mathieu told Saturday’s edition of L’Equipe newspaper that he lacks “the motivation to keep going.”
France coach Didier Deschamps did not specify why he had removed Mathieu from the squad.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
The 32-year-old Mathieu, who has five caps with France, missed the European Championship this year because of a calf injury.
Mathieu said he wants to make room for the younger players who will be playing at the 2018 World Cup if France qualifies.
France hosts Bulgaria on Oct. 7 at the Stade de France before traveling to play the Netherlands three days later in Group A.