Yaya Toure was left out of the Ivory Coast’s final World Cup warm-up match as a precautionary measure, with the team management playing down fears over the midfielder’s fitness for the Brazil tournament.
Toure was a spectator as Gervinho and Didier Drogba scored first-half goals in a 2-1 friendly win over El Salvador in Frisco, near Dallas on Wednesday as the Ivorians concluded their America-based preparations for the finals.
“Yaya Toure has not presented any alarming signs as regards his fitness but the technical staff of the Ivorian team wants to rest a player who has come through injury and had a tiring season,” a statement said.
However, media reports speculated that the reigning African Footballer of the Year was seen wincing with pain in training before the El Salvador match.
Toure only joined the squad last weekend after missing the first fortnight of their training camp to undergo surgery in Qatar and was seen training alone and along with the team.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
The Aspetar Orthopaedic and Sports Medicine Hospital in Doha confirmed the Manchester City midfielder’s admission for what it called a “minor injury” two weeks ago.
Toure suffered a thigh injury in mid-April but returned to help City secure the Premier League title for the second time in three years.
On the last day of the Premier League season on May 11, he went off in the second half with a reported hamstring injury in City’s win over West Ham.
The Ivorians arrive in Brazil on Friday where they will open their Group C campaign against Japan in Recife on June 14, before facing Colombia and Greece.