Goals by Edinson Cavani and Christian Stuani lifted Uruguay past Slovenia 2-0 in a World Cup warm-up game Wednesday night.
With the exception of star Luis Suarez, who is recovering from knee surgery, Uruguay was at full strength for the match. Uruguay hopes to at least repeat its performance at the World Cup four years ago, when it made the semifinals before losing to the Netherlands.
Cavani opened the scoring in the 36th minute with a strong header off a perfect pass from playmaker Diego Forlan.
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
Forty minutes later, Stuani clinched the win after Cavani set him up for an easy shot into an unguarded net.
Uruguay opens its World Cup play against Costa Rica on June 14. Slovenia didn’t qualify.
Chile beat Northern Ireland 2-0
Chile beat Northern Ireland 2-0 on Wednesday night in its final World Cup warm-up game, a match that marked the return of midfielder Arturo Vidal.
Vidal came on in the 76th minute. Just two minutes later he made a precise pass to Alexis Sanchez, who in turn made a lob pass so striker Eduardo Vargas could head it into the net.
Vidal made another perfect pass a few minutes later that Mauricio Pinilla turned into a goal in the 82nd. Vidal underwent knee surgery May 7 and he had been doubtful for Chile’s World Cup opener against Australia on June 13.
Northern Ireland did not qualify for the World Cup.
Didier Drogba scores in Ivory Coast win
Didier Drogba and Gervinho each had a goal and an assist in World Cup-bound Ivory Coast’s 2-1 victory over El Salvador on Wednesday night in an exhibition game.
Gervinho took a pass from Drogba for a goal in the ninth minute. In the 42nd minute, Gervinho pulled the El Salvador goalkeeper away from the net and passed across to Drogba for his goal.
El Salvador, which did not qualify for the World Cup, scored on Arturo Alvarez’s penalty kick in the 75th minute. Kolo Abib Toure fouled El Salvador’s Darwin Ceren in the penalty area to set up the kick.
Boubacar Barry of Ivory Coast made the game’s only save, in the second half.
Ivory Coast rebounded from a 2-1 loss to Bosnia-Herzogovina in St. Louis on Friday night.