Goals by Edinson Cavani and Christian Stuani lifted Uruguay past Slovenia 2-0 in a World Cup warm-up game Wednesday night.
With the exception of star Luis Suarez, who is recovering from knee surgery, Uruguay was at full strength for the match. Uruguay hopes to at least repeat its performance at the World Cup four years ago, when it made the semifinals before losing to the Netherlands.
Cavani opened the scoring in the 36th minute with a strong header off a perfect pass from playmaker Diego Forlan.
Forty minutes later, Stuani clinched the win after Cavani set him up for an easy shot into an unguarded net.
Uruguay opens its World Cup play against Costa Rica on June 14. Slovenia didn’t qualify.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Chile beat Northern Ireland 2-0
Chile beat Northern Ireland 2-0 on Wednesday night in its final World Cup warm-up game, a match that marked the return of midfielder Arturo Vidal.
Vidal came on in the 76th minute. Just two minutes later he made a precise pass to Alexis Sanchez, who in turn made a lob pass so striker Eduardo Vargas could head it into the net.
Vidal made another perfect pass a few minutes later that Mauricio Pinilla turned into a goal in the 82nd. Vidal underwent knee surgery May 7 and he had been doubtful for Chile’s World Cup opener against Australia on June 13.
Northern Ireland did not qualify for the World Cup.
Didier Drogba scores in Ivory Coast win
Didier Drogba and Gervinho each had a goal and an assist in World Cup-bound Ivory Coast’s 2-1 victory over El Salvador on Wednesday night in an exhibition game.
Gervinho took a pass from Drogba for a goal in the ninth minute. In the 42nd minute, Gervinho pulled the El Salvador goalkeeper away from the net and passed across to Drogba for his goal.
El Salvador, which did not qualify for the World Cup, scored on Arturo Alvarez’s penalty kick in the 75th minute. Kolo Abib Toure fouled El Salvador’s Darwin Ceren in the penalty area to set up the kick.
Boubacar Barry of Ivory Coast made the game’s only save, in the second half.
Ivory Coast rebounded from a 2-1 loss to Bosnia-Herzogovina in St. Louis on Friday night.