Nigeria midfielder Michael Babatunde was ruled out of the World Cup with a broken arm after being hit by a teammate’s shot in the group game against Argentina.
The Nigeria Football Federation and coach Stephen Keshi said on Thursday that Babatunde had successful surgery on his fractured right wrist but will need at least three weeks to recover.
The teammate whose shot struck Babatunde, fellow midfielder Ogenyi Onazi, joked about the incident in a statement from the NFF.
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
- Twitter War Between Congress Leader Amarinder Singh & Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- PM Narendra Modi Bats For Equal Rights : Here What He Said On Triple Talaq
- Uncle Shivpal Targets Akhilesh, Claims CM Told Him He Will Form Another Party
- Pakistan Continues To Violate Ceasefire In RS Pura
- Samajwadi Party’s internal fight divides SP
“I swear that was a sure goal if not for (his) hand.” Onazi said. He added that he wished Babatunde a “quick recovery.”
Babatunde started Nigeria’s last two group games, a 1-0 win over Bosnia and Wednesday’s 3-2 loss to Argentina in Group F. He got hurt in that game when Onazi’s powerful second-half shot hit him on the right hand at an awkward angle, breaking his wrist.
“We are sad about that but we have people who can fill in for him very well,” Keshi said.
Keshi also said that forward Victor Moses had been struggling with a muscle strain, which was the reason he had not played a major role in Nigeria’s World Cup campaign so far.
Nigeria plays France in the last 16 on Monday in Brasilia.