Germany attacking midfielder Marco Reus was ruled out of the World Cup on Saturday with an ankle injury sustained in a 6-1 friendly win over Armenia.
The German Football Federation said that Reus suffered a partial ligament tear in his left ankle in the match on Friday and will miss six to seven weeks before he can resume training again.
“For him and for us this is extremely regrettable,” Germany coach Joachim Loew said. “Marco was in excellent form; he made an outstanding impression in the training camp and in both (friendly) matches against Cameroon and Armenia. He exuded enthusiasm for the game. He played a central role in our planning for Brazil.”
The 25-year-old Reus was one of the few German players to have impressed consistently coming into the World Cup.
Shkodran Mustafi was called up as a late replacement for the Borussia Dortmund player. The 22-year-old Sampdoria defender was part of Germany’s 30-man preliminary squad and took part in the training camp in northern Italy
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
“It’s not about replacing Marco Reus directly,” Loew said. “We have a lot of quality for the position behind the forward. Here we have in Lukas Podolski, Andre Schuerrle, Mario Goetze, Thomas Mueller, Mesut Ozil, Julian Draxler and Toni Kroos enough options. So we decided for another option in defence.”
Mustafi told the dpa news agency that Loew had phoned him as he was on his way home.
“I’m very sorry for Marco, but of course I’m happy that I can be there,” Mustafi said.