Germany attacking midfielder Marco Reus was ruled out of the World Cup on Saturday with an ankle injury sustained in a 6-1 friendly win over Armenia.
The German Football Federation said that Reus suffered a partial ligament tear in his left ankle in the match on Friday and will miss six to seven weeks before he can resume training again.
“For him and for us this is extremely regrettable,” Germany coach Joachim Loew said. “Marco was in excellent form; he made an outstanding impression in the training camp and in both (friendly) matches against Cameroon and Armenia. He exuded enthusiasm for the game. He played a central role in our planning for Brazil.”
- Twitter War Between Congress Leader Amarinder Singh & Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- PM Narendra Modi Bats For Equal Rights : Here What He Said On Triple Talaq
- Uncle Shivpal Targets Akhilesh, Claims CM Told Him He Will Form Another Party
- Pakistan Continues To Violate Ceasefire In RS Pura
- Samajwadi Party’s internal fight divides SP
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman of Tata Sons: Here’s What Happened
- Wreath Laying Ceremony Of Slain Soldier Sushil Kumar Observed
- Virat Kohli Powers India Home With Unbeaten 154
- Pakistan Resorts To Heavy Mortar Shelling, 1 BSF Jawan Dead, 3 Injured
- Bigg Boss 10 Weekend Ka Vaar: Priyanka Jagga Evicted
- Here’s How Much Army Welfare Fund Has After MNS Demanded Rs 5 Cr To Cast Pak Artistes
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray Take A Jibe At MNS: Here’s What He Said
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
The 25-year-old Reus was one of the few German players to have impressed consistently coming into the World Cup.
Shkodran Mustafi was called up as a late replacement for the Borussia Dortmund player. The 22-year-old Sampdoria defender was part of Germany’s 30-man preliminary squad and took part in the training camp in northern Italy
“It’s not about replacing Marco Reus directly,” Loew said. “We have a lot of quality for the position behind the forward. Here we have in Lukas Podolski, Andre Schuerrle, Mario Goetze, Thomas Mueller, Mesut Ozil, Julian Draxler and Toni Kroos enough options. So we decided for another option in defence.”
Mustafi told the dpa news agency that Loew had phoned him as he was on his way home.
“I’m very sorry for Marco, but of course I’m happy that I can be there,” Mustafi said.