England will make World Cup history if they qualify from the group stage after losing their first two matches.
No team has ever made it out of the first stage after two opening defeats since the model of four-team first round groups playing three matches each was introduced in Sweden in 1958.
The most famous occasion of a team advancing from the group stage after a poor opening phase was Italy in 1982 when they failed to win a match, drawing with Poland, Peru and Cameroon, and only progressing because they scored one more goal than Cameroon, who also drew their three games.
Italy improved dramatically after that and went on to win the World Cup beating West Germany in the final.
England had the chance of advancing in 1958 after failing to win any of their group stage matches following draws with the Soviet Union, Brazil and Austria, but were then eliminated after a 1-0 playoff defeat by the Soviet Union.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Following 2-1 defeats by Italy and Uruguay at this year’s tournament in Brazil, England’s slim chances will end on Friday if Italy draw or lose to Costa Rica when they meet in their Group D match in Recife.
England need Italy to beat Costa Rica and Uruguay and then England must beat Costa Rica to have any chance of qualifying for the last 16.
Costa Rica and Italy have three points after one match, Uruguay have three from two games and England have no points from two matches.