Having come from behind to beat Algeria in their opening game, Belgium can reach the knockout phase by beating Russia. Marc Wilmots’s ‘golden generation’ looked destined to make a meek entrance into the tournament after falling behind to a Sofiane Feghouli penalty in Belo Horizonte on Tuesday, but late goals from substitutes Marouane Fellaini and Dries Mertens got them off to a winning start.
With Russia having been held 1-1 by South Korea in their Group H opener, the last 16 is already within sight for Belgium. Belgium centre-back Nicolas Lombaerts, who plays for Russian side Zenit Saint-Petersburg, knows better than most what to expect from Fabio Capello’s side, and he expects his team-mates to have a physical edge.
“Capello places lots of importance on organisation,” said the 29-year-old, whose side are appearing at a first major tournament since 2002. Lombaerts is on standby to play in case Belgium captain Vincent Kompany is unable to shake off a minor groin complaint.
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
- PM Modi Meets New Zealand Prime Minister John Key
- Ex-Arunachal CM Kalikho Pul Left Behind “Secret Notes” Before He Was Found Hanging: Rajkhowa
- Big Relief For Former Karnataka CM BS Yeddyurappa: Here’s Why
- Missing For Three Days, JNU Student Found Dead In Hostel Room
The City defender missed training on Thursday and Friday, but Wilmots is confident that he will be able to take part in Saturday’s eve-of-match session at the Maracana. “Vincent felt something in the last few minutes against Algeria and couldn’t sprint at 100 percent,” the Belgium coach said.
Chelsea playmaker Eden Hazard, creator of Mertens’s winning goal against Algeria, is also expected to be fit despite sustaining a bruised toe during that game. Should Russia lose, Capello’s side would find themselves on the brink of elimination ahead of their final game against Algeria on Thursday. Russia needed a 74th-minute goal from Aleksandr Kerzhakov to rescue a point against South Korea after goalkeeper Igor Akinfeev’s blunder had allowed Lee Keun-Ho to break the deadlock.
It was a low-key opening for a team who pipped Cristiano Ronaldo’s Portugal to an automatic berth in European qualifying, but Spartak Moscow midfielder Denis Glushakov has urged his side to put it behind them. Glushakov’s position in the team is under threat from Dynamo Moscow midfielder Igor Denisov, while Kerzhakov’s goal in Cuiaba has strengthened his claim to a starting berth.