Scotland manager Gordon Strachan says the feverish atmosphere in Friday’s World Cup qualifier against England at Wembley could make some players go weak at the knees. The two bitter rivals are meeting in a competitive fixture for the first time since 1999 and Strachan hopes his team can use the intensity of the game to their advantage and reinvigorate their campaign with a victory. “It’s important not to get caught up in the emotion of the match and to use your passion to run faster than you’ve ever run before, jump higher then you’ve ever jumped and concentrate harder than you ever have,” he told a news conference on Thursday.
“If you get too emotional you can lose focus so we’ve got to use that emotion and passion to play better than we ever have before.
“The atmosphere could focus us but it might spook a few people too. Our focus has been tremendous and the squad are oblivious to anything else but this game of football,” added Strachan.
Adding extra spice, the result could have significant implications for both bosses with Gareth Southgate odds-on to be named permanent England boss if he avoids defeat and Strachan’s role under scrutiny after a poor start to qualifying.
Another defeat for Scotland, who have four points from their first three Group F games and drew with Lithuania before losing 3-0 to Slovakia in their last two outings, could be devastating.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
“We’ve not been too pleased with the last two performances,” Strachan said. “This game is a chance to catch up.
“It’s a chance to feel better about myself. Over the past few years I haven’t felt decent about myself.”