It wasn’t magic but Diego Costa’s skill helped Chelsea make its winless streak in the English Premier League vanish with a 2-0 victory at Hull on Saturday.
Chelsea’s underwhelming start to the season had seen the pressure mount on manager Antonio Conte, who admitted on Friday there was “no magic wand.”
Costa set up the opener for Willian in the 61st minute and curled home a similar effort six minutes later to end his side’s demoralizing league run a 2-2 draw with Swansea, followed by losing 2-1 to Liverpool, and a humiliating 3-0 defeat at Arsenal.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Conte must have feared the worst after watching his side struggle in a disappointing first half in which Chelsea did not have a single shot on target. Goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois kept the visitors in the game, saving against Robert Snodgrass and Ryan Mason.
After the interval Chelsea looked a different side, with Eden Hazard firing its first shot on target in the 48th with a stinging drive which Hull goalkeeper David Marshall did well to tip over the bar.
Chelsea should have grabbed the lead just before the hour mark when Costa rounded the advancing Marshall but saw his shot from a tight angle deflected onto the post by Jake Livermore.
Chelsea grabbed the lead three minutes later when Costa found Willian on the left. The Brazilian turned Markus Henriksen and David Meyler before curling a superb shot into the roof of the net.
Chelsea stretched its lead in the 67th when Costa blasted home after Nemanja Matic’s blocked effort landed perfectly for Costa, who fired home from a similar position.
Chelsea provisionally moved to sixth, with six more points than Hull. Both teams have played seven matches.