Adding a fair bit of star power to the upcoming Indian Super League, renowned Italian forward Alessandro Del Piero has signed up with Delhi Dynamos FC as its marquee player.
The 39-year-old Italian who has won almost every tournament he has played in for club and country, has many achievements to his name in a career spanning over two decades.
“It’s really exciting to be coming to India and playing for the capital of the country. I am thoroughly looking forward to training with my teammates and work together with the coach and the club and I hope to encourage the people of Delhi to follow our games,” Del Piero said in a statement.
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
“My passion has always been to play good football and I think I can definitely identify with my team’s philosophy of playing an attacking and attractive game. It is always amazing to visit new countries but I have a feeling India is going to be a really special part of my journey. See you soon, India,” he added.
Del Piero, also nicknamed “Il Fenomeno Vero” or The Real Phenomenon, is the 10th all-time top-scorer in the Champions League and has been featured in FIFA 100, a list of the top greatest living footballers compiled by Pele.
Having played alongside some great teammates like Gianluigi Buffon and Zinedine Zidane, del Piero has always managed to stand out.
Footballing legend Maradona once said “He (del Peiro) is different to Zinedine Zidane. He likes to play, he feels it in his soul. Between him and the Frenchman, I choose him.”
The Italian great played for Sydney FC for the last two seasons and is credited for putting the A-league onto the world stage and inspiring a new generation of football players in that country.
The free-kick King won Sydney FC Player of the Year Award and Sydney FC Golden Boot in 2013 and also scored the A-League goal of the season for 2012–2013.