Barcelona vs Atletico
Real vs Dortmund
PSG vs Chelsea
Man United vs Bayern
To be played on April 1, 2 and April 8, 9.
Manchester United’s already arduous season just got tougher. The English champions were drawn Friday to face Bayern Munich in the Champions League quarterfinals, pitting them against the defending champions and the favorites.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
“I was thrilled that we were in the draw. In a lot of ways, it didn’t matter who we drew,” said Manchester United manager David Moyes, who has, personally, led United into the quarterfinals in his first attempt as United manager. “But we have pulled out the favourites.”
In the other quarterfinal pairings, Real Madrid will face Borussia Dortmund in a rematch of last year’s semifinal, Spanish clubs Barcelona and Atletico Madrid will meet for a spot in the next round, and Paris Saint-German will take on 2012 European champions Chelsea.
United and Barcelona will host the opening two matches on April 1, while Madrid and PSG are at home for their first legs on April 2. The return legs will be played on April 8-9.
Five-time champion Bayern will be looking to heap even more pressure on Moyes. United is a disappointing seventh in the Premier League and likely needs to win the Champions League to qualify for next season’s competition.
“Perhaps they are not in the best form, but they are still a top team,” said Bayern winger Arjen Robben, who scored a late goal to eliminate United from the competition at the same stage four years ago. “It’s a good draw, we play away first.”
Bayern, meanwhile, is unbeaten in 50 Bundesliga games under coach Pep Guardiola and leads second-place Dortmund by 23 points.
Madrid vs Dortmund, Again
Dortmund beat Madrid in the semifinals last year before losing to Bayern in the final at Wembley Stadium. But Madrid is unbeaten in 31 games in all competitions, and Cristiano Ronaldo leads the Champions League with 13 goals.
“When you repeatedly make the last eight you have to count on meeting one team often,” Dortmund coach Juergen Klopp said. “It could be an advantage that we first play in Madrid. It’s no time to raise the white flag yet.”
Three Spanish clubs reached the quarterfinals and at least one is guaranteed to play in the semifinals.
Although four-time champion Barcelona has excelled in the Champions League, the Spanish champions have had an irregular season at home and have yet to beat Atletico in three games — all have been draws.
“Being an opponent we know can be helpful or not. There won’t be any surprises,” Barcelona goalkeeper Victor Valdes said. “They are a tough rival. We can’t allow any goals at home.”
For Chelsea, coach Jose Mourinho will need to come up with a strategy to stop Zlatan Ibrahimovic when the English leaders travel across the channel to face French champion PSG in the first leg.
Mourinho led Chelsea against PSG in the tournament’s group stage in 2004-05, when the Blues won 3-0 in Paris before a scoreless draw at home.
Van Persie unlikely
MANCHESTER: Manchester United says striker Robin van Persie has been ruled out for about four to six weeks with a left knee injury. The Netherlands striker will miss the Champions League quarterfinals against Bayern Munich and could be sidelined for as many as six Premier League matches.