Real Madrid stalwarts Cristiano Ronaldo, Gareth Bale and Manchester City’s Sergio Aguero were nominated for the coveted 2016 Ballon d’Or football award, a French sports magazine France Football announced on Monday.
The magazine said that Borussia Dortmund striker Pierre Emerik Aubameyang and long-serving Italian goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon of Juventus were also nominated, reports Efe.
The names of the rest of the 30 hopefuls were scheduled to be announced later.
Having broken ties with the International Federation of Association Football (FIFA), the guidelines of the 2016 edition of the Ballon d’Or have been simplified.
The voting board for 2016 is to comprise only of international journalists, thus scrapping the delegations of international football team coaches and captains.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
The date of the award ceremony for the 61st edition of the Ballon d’Or is yet to be officially announced.
In the last seven years, six of which were in partnership with FIFA, the Ballon d’Or podium has been dominated by Ronaldo (2013, ’14) and FC Barcelona’s Lionel Messi (2009, ’10, ’11, ’12, ’15).
There is a high chance that in 2016 the award will remain in the hands of one of these La Liga top-flight players.