Chelsea striker Diego Costa has been ruled out of Spain’s matches against Macedonia and England through injury, the Spanish football federation said on Thursday. Costa had been struggling to shake off a groin injury he suffered in Chelsea’s 5-0 Premier League win over Everton on Saturday and immediately underwent medical tests when he met up with the Spain squad.
Spain coach Julen Lopetegui had said that the Brazil-born forward’s recovery had been disappointing, and the team later confirmed on their Twitter account that Costa had left the squad and been replaced by Celta Vigo forward Iago Aspas.
Costa, 28, has scored nine league goals in a stunning start to the season for Chelsea and his injury will be a source of concern for the London club’s manager Antonio Conte, who has overseen a run of five straight league wins.
Spain face Macedonia in a World Cup qualifier on Saturday before playing England in a friendly at Wembley on Tuesday.
Lopetegui’s side are top of qualifying Group G, level on seven points with Italy after three matches.
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation