Chelsea have signed Ghana left back Abdul Rahman Baba from Bundesliga club Augsburg, the clubs said on Sunday.
British and German media reported that the English champions paid 20 million pounds ($31.29 million) for Baba.
The 21-year-old Ghana international was a member of his country’s African Nations Cup squad who were runners-up to Ivory Coast this year.
“I am very happy to sign for Chelsea, one of the biggest clubs in the world, and I can’t wait to train with my new team-mates and very much looking forward to working with them and Mr (Jose) Mourinho,” he said in a Chelsea statement.
- Marco Reus scores winner for Borussia Dortmund at Borussia Moenchengladbach
- Premier League clubs splash cash, but Philippe Coutinho deal trumps all
- Borussia Dortmund making moves on transfer deadline day
- Chelsea defender Andreas Christensen signs new long-term deal
- I only want to beat Manchester United on the pitch: Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho
- Chelsea misfire, Manchester City romp home with 3-0 win
He had joined Augsburg last year after two seasons at Greuther Fuerth and helped them to a fifth place finish and a spot in this season’s Europa League.
“Abdul Rahman Baba made a big leap in the past year for us,” Augsburg CEO Stefan Reuter said in a statement.
“It is not only a recognition for his work but also ours when a top international club like Chelsea want to sign him.”