Borussia Dortmund striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang scored an early goal that sent Bayern Munich to its first defeat of the season and forced the four-time defending champion to relinquish the top of the Bundesliga to promoted Leipzig on Saturday.
The outcome left Bayern three points behind surging Leipzig, which won its sixth straight on Friday with a 3-2 victory at Bayer Leverkusen. Dortmund moved into third place on goal difference. Bayern controlled long stretches but could not break down Dortmund’s defense.
“We suffered through long spells but we knew we would,” Dortmund coach Thomas Tuchel said. “You can’t expect to climb into a ring with Bayern and leave without a black eye.”
Bayern Munich striker Robert Lewandowski landed awkwardly on his left ankle in the first half and appeared to be in discomfort through the match, rarely threatening.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
Aubameyang’s 12th goal of the season came in the 11th minute. Dortmund recovered the ball after a Bayern clearance, Mario Goetze sent it through the legs of former teammate Mats Hummels and Aubameyang poked it home from close range. Leipzig was the only undefeated team, along with Hoffenheim, which plays Hamburg on Sunday.
Dortmund came under great pressure late in the first half but Aubameyang had an effort saved by Manuel Neuer at the start of the second.
Dortmund goalkeeper Roman Buerki did well to punch away a cross from Philipp Lahm before it could reach Lewandowski.
Xabi Alonso hit the crossbar with a long-range effort that took Buerki completely by surprise. The Dortmund goalkeeper never moved as the ball dipped and bounced off.
Alonso nearly gave away a goal in the 71st with a dreadful mistake. Aubameyang was one-on-one with Neuer but the Bayern goalkeeper waited long enough to swat the ball away. Tuchel used two strikers, with Adrian Ramos partnering Aubameyang. Dortmund, Cologne and Berlin are all three points behind Bayern.
In other matches:
BORUSSIA MOENCHENGLADBACH 1, COLOGNE 2
Marcel Risse fired in a free kick in injury time to secure Cologne’s win and take his team to a share of third place.
Cologne fell behind to a first-half goal by Lars Stindl but Anthony Modeste celebrated his 100th Bundesliga match by notching his 12th goal of the season to level the match. Defender Jannik Vestergaard’s attempt to head away a cross bounced off the head of Modeste and into the net. Risse than drove in from nearly 30 meters (yards) out.
Modeste and Aubameyang share the scoring lead with 12 goals apiece.
WOLFSBURG 0, SCHALKE 1
A late goal by Leon Goretzka gave Schalke its first win on the road and left it unbeaten in 10 matches across all competitions as it continues to recover from a dreadful start to the season. Wolfsburg is still without a home win, even under new coach Valerien Ismael.
Ingolstadt got off to a winning start under the largely unknown new coach Maik Walpurgis when Moritz Hartmann connected with a spectacular volley for a 1-0 win against Darmstadt, which fell to its fourth straight loss. Mainz beat Freiburg 4-2 at home, while Augsburg and Hertha Berlin played to 0-0.