The pressure of expectations was immense but ace Indian striker and captain Sunil Chhetri said Bengaluru FC did not target history while playing against Johor Darul Ta’zim in a crucial AFC Cup match.
The Club eventually created history by becoming the first Indian football club to make it into AFC Cup final after beating the defending champions 3-1.
“I am not in a position to talk about what this win means for Indian football. Before the match, there had been a lot of talk about no Indian club had made it into the finals. But there has been no such talk in our team. We treated this match as any other match,” he told reporters.
Replying to a query, Chhetri said the best part about BFC is that it is like a closely knit family and everyone, right from the ball boys to the head coach, wants to work hard and improve.
Talking about the coach, Chhetri said all the players have learnt a lot from Albert Roca even as he has a different style of coaching from Ashley Westwood, his predecessor. Each players executed his plans on the pitch, as the players believe that a team can only win if they implement the coach’s ideas, Chhetri said.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Chhetri said the team could score three goals because of aggressive style of play.
“The reason we could score as many as three goals is that we played a sheer dominating game. As I had said earlier too, goals comes your way, you only need to keep trying,” he said.
Roca said it is a great day because India is not just a cricket country any more.
He also praised Chhetri by saying that the Indian striker is a good captain and played a big part in today’s win.