The pressure of expectations was immense but ace Indian striker and captain Sunil Chhetri said Bengaluru FC did not target history while playing against Johor Darul Ta’zim in a crucial AFC Cup match.
The Club eventually created history by becoming the first Indian football club to make it into AFC Cup final after beating the defending champions 3-1.
“I am not in a position to talk about what this win means for Indian football. Before the match, there had been a lot of talk about no Indian club had made it into the finals. But there has been no such talk in our team. We treated this match as any other match,” he told reporters.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Replying to a query, Chhetri said the best part about BFC is that it is like a closely knit family and everyone, right from the ball boys to the head coach, wants to work hard and improve.
Talking about the coach, Chhetri said all the players have learnt a lot from Albert Roca even as he has a different style of coaching from Ashley Westwood, his predecessor. Each players executed his plans on the pitch, as the players believe that a team can only win if they implement the coach’s ideas, Chhetri said.
Chhetri said the team could score three goals because of aggressive style of play.
“The reason we could score as many as three goals is that we played a sheer dominating game. As I had said earlier too, goals comes your way, you only need to keep trying,” he said.
Roca said it is a great day because India is not just a cricket country any more.
He also praised Chhetri by saying that the Indian striker is a good captain and played a big part in today’s win.