The Spanish football federation suspended Atletico Madrid coach Diego Simeone for eight matches on Monday after he was sent off during the second leg of the Spanish Super Cup.
The federation announced its decision three days after defending Spanish champion Atletico beat Real Madrid 1-0 to win the Super Cup 2-1 on aggregate.
Simeone was ejected in the 25th minute of the match at Vicente Calderon Stadium for dissent after he vociferously called for Juanfran Torres to be allowed back on the pitch after being treated on the sidelines. The defender had received treatment for a cut on his lip that had bloodied his shirt and was waiting to go back out.
Simeone was suspended for four games for tapping the back of the assistant referee’s head, two games for protesting, one game for applauding his sending off, and one game for remaining in the stands instead of going to the changing room after his expulsion. The federation statement cited referee Fernandez Borbalan’s match report.
Simeone was also fined 4,805 euros ($6,339), while Atletico was fined 2,800 euros ($3,694).
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
Assistant coach German Burgos will take over for Simeone while he serves his suspension.
On Sunday, Simeone said he was ready to accept a sanction.
“When you make a mistake it is right to pay for it,” Simeone said.
Atletico has 10 days to file an appeal.