Arsenal ride luck in FA Cup semi-final to keep trophy hopes alive

Arsenal beat Wigan Athletic 4-2 on penalties and reach FA Cup final for first time in nine years.

Arsenal players celebrate their win against Wigan Athletic after a penalty shoot-out during their FA Cup semifinal matchin London on Saturday. (AP) Arsenal players celebrate their win against Wigan Athletic after a penalty shoot-out during their FA Cup semifinal matchin London on Saturday. (AP)
By: Reuters | London | Published on:April 13, 2014 11:43 am

Arsenal rode their luck to beat holders Wigan Athletic 4-2 on penalties and reach the FA Cup final for the first time in nine years after their semi-final ended in a 1-1 draw after extra time at Wembley on Saturday.

They struggled for long periods against the Championship side who only wilted in the final minutes of normal time and lost their nerve when it came to the decisive shootout in which Lukasz Fabianski twice made great saves for the Gunners.

Santi Cazorla scored the decisive spot kick to send Arsenal into the final for the 18th time, equalling Manchester United’s record, and they can join United on 11 FA Cup triumphs if they beat either Hull City or Sheffield United in the May 17 final.

They meet in the second semi at Wembley on Sunday.

Trailing with 82 minutes on the clock Arsenal’s season looked about to reach a new low after a spectacular recent collapse in the Premier League before Per Mertesacker cancelled out Jordi Gomez’s 63rd minute penalty.

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger, looking for the club’s first silverware since beating Manchester United in that 2005 Cup final, told reporters: “I am relieved because we won. There was big pressure on us but I expected a very difficult game and I was not disappointed.

“Wigan were well organised and physically very strong. They played very well and showed why they knocked Manchester City out in the quarter-final.”

Wigan coach Uwe Rosler told reporters: “I couldn’t have asked for more. I am absolutely proud of the performance.

“You need a little bit of luck with the penalties and we didn’t have it on our side today.”

Wigan, who stunned Manchester City to win the trophy last year only to suffer Premier League relegation, saw their dream of retaining the Cup ended after Gary Caldwell and Jack Collison had their first two penalties saved by Fabianski.

Held nerve

Arsenal held their nerve in the shoot-out with Mikel Arteta Kim Kallstrom, Olivier Giroud and Cazorla all giving former England keeper Scott Carson no chance with their kicks.

After Caldwell and Collison’s efforts were saved, Jean Beausejour and James McArthur scored, but it was too late to save Wigan, who are on course to secure a Championship playoff spot and on the form they showed on Saturday, could regain the Premier League place they lost last season.

Wigan, who knocked out Premier League sides Crystal Palace and Cardiff City before shocking Man City again on their way to the last four, took the lead when Mertesacker’s lunging tackle on Callum McManaman earned Wigan a penalty.

Gomez needed nerves of steel to convert his penalty as he had to wait for three minutes while Arsenal defender Nacho Monreal received treatment for an injury.

When …continued »

Do you like this story