The Asian Football Confederation (AFC) has cancelled February’s extraordinary congress in Kuala Lumpur to elect three additional members on the new FIFA Council, the continent’s governing body said on Wednesday.
The AFC had set Feb. 28 as the new date for the meeting after the extraordinary congress in Goa was postponed in September but the regional body will now meet in Bahrain in conjunction with the FIFA Congress in May 2017.
“The original date set for Kuala Lumpur had been based on the usual schedule of meetings for the FIFA Council, which would normally have met in March 2017 and with the newly elected AFC representatives,” the AFC said in a statement.
“However, next year the FIFA Council will meet on January 10 to coincide with the Best FIFA Football Awards, which will be held in Zurich the day before.”
Asia’s three additional seats on the new council, which replaces the old FIFA Executive Committee and has already met twice, include one reserved for a woman.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Delegates to September’s AFC extraordinary congress, which had been called to conduct the election, voted down the agenda of the meeting in a row over the disqualification of a Qatari candidate.
The next meeting of the FIFA Council will take place on Jan. 9-10. As part of its new set-up, the body will meet three times a year in January, May and November.