Not many teams or bowlers have been able to curtail the aggressive stroke-play of Yuvraj Singh in the shorter formats of the game. For he has the ability to clobber even good balls for sixes. (Express LOL: Some over the top Yuvraj jokes)
On Sunday, the man who walked out to bat looked like Yuvraj Singh. Unfortunately for India, he didn’t bat like the Yuvraj Singh of old. He is only 32, so it would be premature to say his best years are behind him. Yet, when he walked off after scoring just 11 off 21 balls, he looked a shadow of the batsman he can be. He did not hit a single four or a six. (Also Read: Stones pelted at Yuvraj’s Chandigarh home)
Credit for that lies with the Sri Lankan bowlers, who bowled brilliantly in the latter half of the innings. The wide yorkers were on target. Still, Virat Kohli’s brilliance still shone through — Kohli made 22 of the 29 runs that Nuwan Kulasekara conceded — keeping hopes of a 150 plus total alive until the final few overs.
At the end of the 16th over Virat was batting on 70 off 50. India were at 111 for 2. With wickets in hand, the time was ripe for the final assault, but it never came. Kohli faced just eight of the last 24 balls of the innings. Only 19 runs were scored off the last four overs as even MS Dhoni struggled, making just four off seven. (Photos: Fitting finale for retiring duo)
But things began to go wrong for India a bit earlier, in the eleventh over when Yuvraj walked in. The left hander got to seven off his first 12 balls, but the hope was that Yuvraj would turn it around at the death. However, Yuvraj couldn’t score a run in six off the eight deliveries he faced after the 16th over.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
In all he consumed 10 dot balls. His dismissal summed up his struggles in the final and during the tournament, save for a half-century against Australia in a dead rubber. The first delivery of the 18th over from Kulasekara was a full toss. Yuvraj leaned into it at the final moment, after being a bit late to judge the length, and hit the ball straight to long-off.
As Yuvraj trudged off the field, one got the feeling that it was a wicket the Indians badly wanted.