South Africa have named fast bowler Dale Steyn in their 15-man squad for the World Twenty20 in India next month, but will ask him to prove his fitness following a debilitating shoulder injury.
Steyn, a key component of the South African bowling line-up, has missed most of the 2015/16 season with first a groin strain and then a shoulder problem that has required intensive treatment.
“Dale’s return is very good news,” convenor of selectors Linda Zondi said in a media release from Cricket South Africa on Wednesday.
- AB De Villiers ruled out of South Africa's squad for New Zealand Test series
- South Africa drop Dale Steyn, pick uncapped Tabraiz Shamsi for West Indies tri-series
- Dale Steyn returns to South Africa squad for remaining England Tests
- South Africa name unchanged squad for last two England Tests
- South Africa recall stars including AB de Villiers, Dale Steyn for New Zealand one-dayers
- Dale Steyn rested,Morne Morkel returns for Sri Lanka tour
“He brings tremendous experience and leadership to the team, not to mention his skills as the outstanding fast bowler of his generation.”
The side will be captained by Faf du Plessis, who takes over from test and one-day international skipper AB de Villiers.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Young fast bowler Kagiso Rabada, who impressed in the test series against England, has earned his place in India while there are also places for batsman Rilee Rossouw and all-rounder David Wiese, who missed South Africa’s last series in India late last year through injury.
Aaron Phangiso has also been preferred to Eddie Leie as the second specialist spin bowler.
“The inclusion of Aaron means that we have all our spin bowling options covered with he, Imran Tahir and JP Duminy offering the different varieties. Left-arm spin bowlers tend to play big roles under Indian conditions,” Zondi added.
The same squad will do duty in the upcoming series against England and Australia during the course of the next four weeks.
South Africa open their World Twenty20 campaign against England on March 18. They will also play Sri Lanka and West Indies in their pool, along with the top side in the first round group that contains Scotland, Zimbabwe, Afghanistan and Hong Kong.
Squad: Faf du Plessis (captain), Kyle Abbott, Hashim Amla, Farhaan Behardien, Quinton de Kock, AB de Villiers, JP Duminy, Imran Tahir, David Miller, Chris Morris, Aaron Phangiso, Kagiso Rabada, Rilee Rossouw, Dale Steyn, David Wiese.