India ended the play as the dominant side because of the mammoth total put up by the batsmen, especially Virat Kohli and Ajinkya Rahane. Kohli made the second Test double century of his career and ended his innings with 211 runs while Rahane dismissed by BJ Watling for 188 runs. The two put on 365 which is India’s highest ever for the fourth wicket.
After their dismissal, the onslaught was continued by Rohit Sharma and Ravindra Jadeja, who then made 53 runs in 9.5 overs before Kohli declared the innings. New Zealand were awarded five penalty runs by the umpire due to Ravindra Jadeja’s frequent running on the danger area of the pitch, something that he had been warned for before.
The day clearly belonged to India and Kolhi and Rahane in particular, with their record-breaking stand for the fourth wicket. This is the Indian Test skipper’s second double century with the last one being his unbeaten 200 against West Indies at Antigua in July. Rahane couldn’t get past the 200-run0mark himself but got his fair share of accolades for his knock of 188 runs.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Here are some of the reactions that came across on twitter:
Two double centuries in the same year (yet) just too good by @imVkohli
— Cricketwallah (@cricketwallah) 9 October 2016
HUNGER. If yesterday was about Discipline, today was about Virat’s insatiable hunger for runs. Clinical. Take a bow 😊🙏 #INDvsNZ
— Aakash Chopra (@cricketaakash) 9 October 2016
— VVS Laxman (@VVSLaxman281) 9 October 2016
Virat Kohli first Indian to score two double centuries as captain in Test cricket!#indvsNZ
— Mohandas Menon (@mohanstatsman) 9 October 2016
— Lt. Anurag Thakur (@ianuragthakur) 9 October 2016
Namaskar. Indore mein mera janam hua,usi sheher mein aaj Virat Kohli ne double century banayi.Main unhe bahut badhaai deti hun.Dhanyawad.
— Lata Mangeshkar (@mangeshkarlata) 9 October 2016
Ajinkya Rahane misses out on a double hundred but an innings of 188 was outstanding nevertheless. Career best performance from him! #INDvNZ
— The Gujarat Lions (@TheGujaratLions) 9 October 2016
Took a single against a spinner on 98 to face the next over from a fast bowler on 99. That pretty much sums up Ajinkya Rahane. 👏👏
— Sanjay Manjrekar (@sanjaymanjrekar) 9 October 2016