Before he takes field on Wednesday, Virat Kohli, for the first time, will entering a series as the captain of the number one Test team. India have been on the top spot earlier as well. Back in 2009, MS Dhoni was the captain at that time.
From that team, Murali Vijay is the only surviving member. Gautam Gambhir is also in the squad but he was not in the playing XI when India achieved the top ranking the second time around at the Eden Gardens last month. Kohli & Co. beat New Zealand to emerge as the top team.
India could have been the top ranked in West Indies only but rain forced no result in the last Test and they had to wait. Now that the mission is accomplished, it is time Kohli leads his troops to sustain it.
After the third Test against New Zealand in Indore, Kohli received the ICC mace and said that it is important to continue winning and stay at the top. This will the task for India during this five-match Test series and the coming five Test against Bangladesh (one) and Australia (four). And the leader will be Kohli.
He has not lost a Test at home. India have not lost at home since 2012-13. That was the loss to England. Now, they can avenge that defeat and Kohli and improve his dismal record against the English side.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
It was a delight to see him score a double century against West Indies, first Indian captain to do so overseas. And after a series of low score, he scored another double, this time against New Zealand in Indore.
What that tells about Kohli is that he is not brought down because of captaincy. He likes to lead and lead aggressively. A focussed head and team effort can see this Indian side reach newer heights.