Saturday, Nov 01, 2014

Utseya latest ‘suspect’ as ICC clean-up continues

Utseya was hauled up during the South Africa series. (Source: Reuters) Utseya was hauled up during the South Africa series. (Source: Reuters)
Reuters | Posted: August 23, 2014 2:40 am

Zimbabwe all-rounder Prosper Utseya has become the fourth off-spinner to be reported for an illegal bowling action by the International Cricket Council (ICC) in recent months. The off-spinner’s action raised concerns during Zimbabwe’s seven-wicket loss in the third and final one-day international against South Africa in Bulawayo on Thursday, the ICC said in a statement on Friday.

“The match officials’ report… cited concerns regarding Utseya’s arm ball and fast delivery, and concluded that the bowler’s action needed to be tested,” the governing body said. The 29-year-old has to undergo testing within 21 days as per the governing body’s regulations but can continue bowling until the results are known.

Utseya made his international debut in 2004 and has since taken 10 wickets in four tests and 123 wickets in 156 ODIs. The right-handed batsman also has 24 wickets in Twenty20 internationals. Sri Lanka’s Sachithra Senanayake and New Zealand’s Kane Williamson were reported in June and later banned from bowling by the ICC after the off-spinners were found to have illegal actions.

Pakistan off-spinner Saeed Ajmal was also reported, for the second time in his career, earlier this month after the team’s defeat to Sri Lanka in the first test in Galle.

comments powered by Disqus