Umesh Yadav took a blinder of a catch to dismiss Corey Anderson in the first ODI against New Zealand and fielding coach R Sridhar feels that the Vidarbha fast bowler has “created new benchmark” for the speedsters.
“It’s good to have fast bowlers in the side who are good athletes. Umesh has a very good arm and similarly (Mohammad) Shami is also a good athlete. In the past we had Mohit (Sharma) who was a very good fielder. Umesh is an exception not only because of yards he put in the field but also because of his catching.
“That’s probably given him the edge and created new benchmark as far as fast bowler fielders are concerned,” Sridhar said during media interaction today.
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
- 24 Maoists Killed In Encounter In Odisha
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
Asked about who has the most powerful arm from the deep in this current set-up, Sridhar named Virat Kohli and Ravindra Jadeja.
“Jaddu and Virat are the names that come to mind. They have powerful rocket arms and can throw from anywhere with accuracy. In terms of strength and fitness, all fast bowlers like Umesh have powerful arms. In January during Australia series, Umesh effected a run out from 80 metres. As far as one action pick up throw is concerned, it is performed at particular fielding position,” Sridhar said.
Sridhar said as per the wish of limited-over skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni, coach Anil Kumble and Test captain Virat, the team needs more multi-specialist fielders than single dimension ones.
“People like Ajinkya (Rahane) and Virat are more than utility fielders. In ODIs, one needs to suffocate run flow and make batsmen work hard for runs. That’s what people like Manish, Virat, Ajinkya do, even Axar (Patel) when Jadeja is not there,” he stated.
“Once we get into death overs these are the guys who get into the deep as they have safe pair of hands and throw well from the deep. This is what we try and do. Try to develop multi-specialist fielders than specialist fielders. That’s what Virat, MS and Anil want. Team benefits in different phases of the game,” he concluded.