India play New Zealand in the final and what will be the deciding match of the ODI series. But when the team took the field to stand alongside their opponents for the national anthems of their respective countries, those viewing the match were given a pleasant surprise.
The number seven on MS Dhoni’s jersey had ‘Devaki’ written on top of it instead of the familiar five letters. The rest of the players also had unfamiliar names above their familiar numbers. These names, as it turned out, were the names of their mothers. For once, the players walked out with their mothers’ names on their jerseys instead of their father’s.
When Ajinkya Rahane and Rohit Sharma came out to bat, it was clear that the players are going to wear the names for the entire of the match. The initiative seems to be a continuation of MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli and Ajinkya Rahane’s ‘Nayi Soch’ adds for Star Network.
Speaking about it at the toss, MS Dhoni said, “We are quite used to having the surnames from the Dad’s side, and what’s important is to appreciate the stuff that Mothers have done for us. It’s a very emotional connect and it’s good that it is put on a public platform. I would like to request the whole of India keeps this in mind every day and appreciate them everyday.”
Naturally, the Indian team managed to win a lot of hearts with the gesture. Many hailed the Indian team as setting an example for greater recognition of women in India. Here is how Twitteratii reacted to the unusual gesture:
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
This #NayiSoch is a great idea.
But, India better beat New Zealand, or their mothers are going to be pissed!
— Sorabh Pant (@hankypanty) 29 October 2016
— SwatKat (@Swaty_Here) 29 October 2016
— Aman Kamboj (@BeingCriCrazy) 29 October 2016
— Somsuvra Dhar 🇮🇳 (@Imshom) 29 October 2016
— Savi (@Savi_2411) 29 October 2016