About half of Dhaka’s Sri Lankan community of over 1,000 dropped in at the Fatullah Cricket Ground on Friday. And their presence was felt all through the game. They beat drums, blew bugles and even implored the DJ to play Honey Singh numbers.
They did go silent for a while during the India innings when Shikhar Dhawan and Virat Kohli were forging a partnership. But sprang back to life as soon as Ajantha Mendis took two wickets from three balls.
Achira, a 31-year-old from Colombo, who works here at the Dhaka branch of a Sri Lankan company (Ecochem), was the obvious cheer leader of this noisy bunch. His wife, Anjana, played second fiddle to him. “I’ve been working here for the last six years. Cricket helps us to break the monotony of everyday affairs. We never miss a game whenever our team is here. We followed them across the country during the two-month long bilateral series against Bangladesh,” says Achira.
Along with his friends, many of them students, Achira has formed a fan forum.
“We organize six-a-side cricket matches once a year and do community service with the funds raised,” says Achira. While Achira talks about his exploits of his team, his wife offers a silent prayer for Mahela Jayawardene’s success.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
“Actually we are from the same college and it makes me a Mahela fan,” he explains.