Indian batting icon Sachin Tendulkar and Virendra Sehwag will be amongst the nominees for the ‘ESPNcricinfo@20 Cricketer of the Generation’ award, with the cricket news website today announcing two more categories to its seventh annual awards.
The two new special awards — Cricketer of the Generation and Contribution to Cricket — will add to the six categories announced earlier.
Besides Tendulkar and Warne, West Indian Brian Lara, Muttiah Muralitharan of Sri Lanka, Australia’s Shane Warne and South African Jacques Kallis will also be in fray.
As the closing element of ESPNcricinfo’s 20th anniversary celebrations, a 50-member jury of current and former cricketers and leading sportswriters will pick the finest player of the last 20 years to honour with this award.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
The winner will also be presented with a Renault automobile.
The website last month announced nominees for the annual ESPNcricinfo Awards, sponsored by Renault, which recognise the best cricket performances in 2013.
The winner of the ‘Contribution to Cricket’ award will be nominated by former Indian captain Rahul Dravid. This award will consider contributions from all over the cricket ecosystem, from groundsmen to pitch curators, umpires to grassroots organisers, or just about anyone who has made a positive impact on the game.
“The Contribution to Cricket award was conceived to reward values that are pivotal to the sport — hard work, commitment, selflessness, fair play, and a dedication to the game. These are attributes embodied by many people across many aspects of the sport who are rarely given credit for the amount they contribute to this great game,” said Dravid
Speaking on these new categories, Sambit Bal, editor-in-chief, ESPNcricinfo, said: “The Cricketer of the Generation is a one-time award coinciding with the 20th anniversary of ESPNcricinfo, and with the Contribution to Cricket award, we aim to expand our horizon beyond the playing field.”
Cricketers and industry leaders from around the world will attend the gala awards event on March 14 in Mumbai.